Sunday, August 31, 2008

God is in the details...

Dear Friends--

Greetings from the "Port City"! We are excited to update you on another week of our adventure here in Wilmington. We are so thankful that many of you have emailed us and offered your encouragement, as well as your prayers. They are certainly being felt as the details of our lives are slowly being revealed.

Since our last post, our lives have begun to settle into a predictable routine, as John and Lizzie began school on Tuesday. We have included some "first day" photos, yes, a dress code is in effect...a blessing for the Pratt household as it makes our morning decisions easier for mom and kids :) John is in the same class as his best friend Caleb, so having a friend to count on has made the transition easier. He got a great score (and a prize) on his math test this week which is growing his confidence...he was so proud and excited to share his good news.

Lizzie, too is feeling more confident. She has made friends quickly and looks forward to going to school each day. Her teacher, Ms. Barnes called us last week to get permission to test her, as she feels that Lizzie will become bored considering her reading abilities. We're not sure what options we'll have, but we'll be meeting at the school this week at some point. Lizzie is concerned...the word "TEST" in itself scares her and since she is settling in so well with her classmates, any change that might disrupt "the known" is causing her concern. We're praying for peace in her spirit and clarity in what we should do.


I had an interview on Friday for a teaching assistant position in Rocky Point (20 minutes north). It went well, but there is a requirement that I just can't see myself doing...one small detail...maybe not so small....It's driving a BUS! Can you believe that? In several counties here, the TA's must be able to step in to serve as a bus driver substitute. Mark got a good laugh out at that...can you picture me driving a bus? Lol :) Thankfully, I have another interview on Thursday for an ESL teacher position, that's teaching English to Speakers of other Languages. I have to test into the certification which I have scheduled for September 13th and so I will be studying for the next few weeks as I'd much rather do that than drive a BUS!

Mark is doing well trying to keep the rest of us rallied and focused on the right things. He will start the 3rd week of online classes and is doing great. He will also start a part time job this week (helping another core team member from Crosswinds) in a machine shop-type situation. In many ways, this opportunity is a blessing. God is in the details....

Speaking of details, Crosswinds has narrowed it's location! We are planning to launch our church in February in Leland, a growing community across the river from Wilmington. Statistics say that 27 people move into Leland everyday! We've taken some time to learn more about Leland; we are excited and expectant about the coming months as we begin to dig into building bridges and planning events. A major prayer concern is finding a suitable rental for our facility... it looks like it will cost much more than we had anticipated. God is still good and He know those details too...

I am thankful that I do not have to rely upon my will and my plans to make the details come together. Through this whole process I have been reminded by God: "'My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. 'As the heavens are above the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.' " (Isaiah 55:8-9) I am continually challenged to surrender my plans/expectations and to REST in God's soverignity and His perfect timing. I'm glad He hasn't given up on me!

Hugs to all--have a great week!

1 comment:

Janice said...

Alright here we go again. We had to open up an account so my first blogg was deleted. Hopefully now we are set. We hope you have not forgot about us here back in NYS. We think of you folks often and enjoy reading yours and the Vernon's Blogger. Kids look good in the unforms. Chris we think you would look great behind a steering wheel of a school bus. Mark keep studying and good luck on your part time job. And for the church, sounds as if you all have been busy preparing for the start up of your new church. We have been praying and will continue to pray for the success of all of you in the name of GOD.
Al and Janice