Friday, October 3, 2008

A job offer

His ways ARE higher than my ways...

So three weeks ago we met with the administration at Lizzie's school to discuss the options for challenging her in her schoolwork. Several days prior I had spent a day at their school with the "reading coach", Ms. Carlson, as I would be interviewing for the same position in another school here in the county. The reading coach interview did not go well (in my humble opinion), but was called back for a second interview. I just did not feel comfortable with the environment, job description, and expectations. Long story... I did not get the job.

At Lizzie's meeting I was asked about that interview and was able to honestly share my feelings with Ms Miars, the principal and Ms. Carlson, the reading coach. "Ironically", a position had come available at the kids school in the meantime, a Reading Interventionist position. It was part time, with 1/2 salary of a teacher, no benefits. Still I had an offer in the next county as an ESL teacher, full time with benefits, 30-40 minute drive each way. Dilemma: which job to accept?

Mark was clearly in favor of the part time position at the kids school. This 8am-12pm position would not disrupt our family routine at all, and the working conditions would comfortably transition me into the "system" here. So last week I did interview for the reading interventionist position and Wednesday, I received a call offering the position to me. I will begin next week.

Thank you for your prayers. These past fews months having been a humbling time of surrender for me as I realized how insignificant my "efforts" and how limited my "control". In many ways, I expected that the difficult part was behind us (choosing to move, leaving "home", giving up the comfortable/known), but I am learning that our struggles had only just begun.

God has been faithful...silent at times, but still faithful. Our needs have been met, our reliance upon Him has been strengthened, our plans have been sifted and refined....for our good. Our ideas/dreams/expectations fall pitifully short of God's perfect plan and often only focus on the outcome, not the process. Getting this job was the outcome, but who knew that I would be challenged SO completely in the process? My Jesus did. He knew it was what I needed. Yep, He knows me better than I know myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I'm so happy for you! It's comforting to know God sees us clearly but often uncomfortable to look at the reflection He reveals to us. The illusion of control is like an addictive drug...very hard to give up. I know God is going to bless you for trusting Him and walking forward even when you were uncertain. It will be exciting to see what He has planned for you in this position.